Sunday 3 November 2013

Halloween Costumes

After 'skipping' a year in 2012, we decided to reinstate our annual Halloween party this year.  We both decided to go as Mexican 'Day of the Dead' skeletons.  

I made my costume from an old bed sheet.  I used 'Pattern Y' from Yoshiko Tsukiori's 'Stylish Dress Book'.  I spent a couple of days embroidering a colourful pattern of the front.  It took a a fair few hours, but I made the most of it and enjoyed the chance to relax by sitting on the 'Poang' and listening to ghost stories on Librivox as I embroidered.....



I hadn't done much embroidery before, so had to learn a few lessons along the way.  

I accessorised my costume with some bringtly-coloured jewellery, and bought a flowery headdress from a costume shop.  So, altogether, my costume only cost me €6!

Simon's outfit consisted mainly of his 'normal' clothes (chords, a black shirt and a waistcoat).  We found a neckerchief in the fancy dress box, borrowed the sombrero, and bought the rifle and bullets.  His outfit cost €10!

The face-painting was all Simon's handiwork.  He did a brilliant job, I have to say!!!   

Would you like to see???






And a bit of a scary one to finish up with.....


Now our faces have been scrubbed and all the decorations and outfits are packed away, we're starting to think about next year's costumes.....

Any suggestions???

Carly

x
   

16 comments:

  1. Super cool costumes! I love the colorful embroidery pattern! Beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very creative costumes and I absolutely love the embroidery!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!!!! you did a great job with your costumes and face painting!!! I love your embroidery, too!!!!
    xxxxx Ale

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely stunning! You both look fantastic, Carly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a terriffying couple.
    Your embroidery is lovely!
    Have a nice week,

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your costumes and make up! Your embroidery is lovely. XX

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, your costumes are amazing! LOVE the embroidery, and Simon did a fantastic paint job! Can't wait to see what you come up with next year!
    Have a great week!
    Kate :}

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it ... you look so cool ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic costumes and make up, Carly! I love your dress and the beautiful embroidery!
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing costume! Gorgeous and scary at the same time! That dress will be lovely to wear from day to day as well, especially in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Both of your costumes are amazing! The embroidery you did is really beautiful.
    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete
  12. You do look seriously scary Carly but amazingly beautiful at the same time...not an easy thing to do :-) ...well done you...your costumes and face painting are fantastic!!
    Susan x

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW - that embroidery is FABULOUS! amazing costumes!!!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my gosh Carly you are such a hoot! I love it. I cannot believe the effort you went to but my oh my, the results are amazing!! Very well done indeed :) Hazel x

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow you guys look amazing !! Love it

    ReplyDelete
  16. So cool! Good job on the stitching in particular.
    Cheers, Anni

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit, and for taking the time to leave me a comment. It's always a pleasure to hear from readers, and it really makes my day!

Carly

x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...