I wanted to do a show-and-tell of this project before the summer holidays, but my computer issues got in my way. Now that I have a shiny new laptop that works (for now), I’m going to try with this post again.....
One of my sister’s colleagues wanted a present for a new mum friend of hers, and Jessica (who’s very good at telling people ‘my sister makes things’) put her in touch with me. She decided to order a baby boy’s quilt (she’d seen one I’d made last year), and asked for a big bag to match – a baby buggy bits and bobs bag!!!
I made the quilt first. I could spend ALL DAY long picking out and matching up fabrics, cutting them into little squares, and sewing them together. What fun!!! Sandwiching the top, bottom and batting together, pinning it all, sewing it all up..... hmmmm..... not quite SO much fun. I put that bit off for quite a while. But, when I eventually finished the quilt, I LOVED it!!!
After that, I had to make the bag. I wanted it to match with the quilt, but I didn’t want to use the really little-boy-ish robot and cog fabrics. So, I bought some plain blue fabric (I picked the colour from the background of the robots and cogs) for the outside, and used the yellow checked fabric from the quilt for the lining of the bag. I also incorporated some of the brighter colours from the quilt by sewing on a spotty rosette and some buttons.
Luckily, the girl who placed the order AND the new mum really liked both items. Phew!!!
After this commission, I was VERY excited to get TWO more orders for baby quilts from Jessica’s colleagues. More showing and telling to come.....
Happy weekend, dear blog pals!!!