I've made a few baby quilts before. But I 'cheated' a bit when it came to the actual quilting bit. I stacked my layers (inside-out) and sewed them together, leaving a little gap, then turned the whole thing the right way out and closed the gap. Then I quilted it by tying knots at all the points where the patches met.
When I found out that our best friends were expecting a baby, I decided to have a go at making a 'proper' quilt for their little one.
I finished it quite a while ago, but couldn't share it on here until the baby arrived and our friends opened their gift (just in case they got a sneaky peek). Well, the baby's here at last - a beautiful baby girl (CONGRATULATIONS VICKI AND JON). So now I can do my show-and tell.....
I'd asked my friend if she had a colour-scheme in mind, and she sent me a link to the Mamas and Papas website, and their 'Timbuktakes' range (which they'd already bought some bits and bobs from). Have a look.....
Isn't it cute!?! So, I tried to pick out colours that would match.
Of course, as always, my bestest bit was choosing the colours and picking out the fabrics. I also really enjoyed the process of cutting the fabric and piecing the quilt top together. I find sewing patchwork squares together really relaxing!
The pinning together of layers, errrr..... not quite so much fun. And I found the actual quilting of the layers quite tricky. I really struggled to stop the backing fabric from puckering - and my little seam ripper came in handy a fair few times (any tips on this would be gratefully received)!
The bit I was most nervous about, though, was hand-sewing on the binding. But it was fine! I actually liked that bit! It was much easier than I thought it would be - and it didn't take as long as I'd anticipated either.
So, to sum up, I have to say, I was pretty pleased with my first ever 'proper' quilt. And, most importantly, my friend loves it! I REALLY enjoyed making it, and will definitely me making more 'proper' quilts in the future.....